Astoria, Ore. — Severe flooding caused by unprecedented snowmelt and rainfall has left rural southeastern Oregon reeling, with authorities issuing evacuation orders, closing schools, and warning residents of public health risks. The flooding has submerged roads, agricultural lands, and damaged homes and businesses, prompting emergency responses across Harney County and surrounding areas.
As of Wednesday, the Harney County Sheriff’s Office reported that over 1,200 people were under the highest level of evacuation orders. Eighteen individuals were taking refuge at temporary shelters, including one set up at the county fairgrounds, while RV shelters were also provided for those who needed a place to park their vehicles.
The flooding, which began following a rapid snowmelt on March 14, 2025, has overwhelmed local rivers, streams, and wastewater systems. According to the Oregon Department of Emergency Management, the deluge has inundated roadways, damaged critical infrastructure, and posed significant environmental and public health risks. Authorities have warned of possible contamination in waterways and disruptions to essential services, including sewage and wastewater systems.
Harney County School District #3, which serves approximately 750 students in the small cities of Burns and Hines, has canceled classes for the remainder of the week due to the widespread damage. The district’s elementary, middle, and high schools will remain closed as the community grapples with the ongoing disaster.
Although drinking water remains safe, the floodwaters are contaminated with harmful bacteria, including E. coli. Local authorities have urged residents to avoid direct contact with the water when possible and to wear protective gear like rubber boots and gloves if entering the standing water. Items worn in the floodwaters should be thoroughly washed and decontaminated to prevent the spread of bacteria into homes.
To help address the sanitation crisis, authorities have placed portable toilets throughout Burns for residents whose toilets remain nonfunctional due to sewage system backups. “We recognize the flooding has impacted people’s lives in significant ways,” said Harney County Sheriff Dan Jenkins. “We appreciate everyone’s patience as we continue to work to mitigate issues, and we are grateful for your support of one another and your first responders.”
The Burns Paiute Tribe, which has also been affected by the flooding, is providing vital assistance to its members. The tribe has been distributing meals, bottled water, and setting up portable toilets and showers in the area. On Wednesday, the tribe announced on social media that it would be moving the portable toilets around the reservation for easier access.
Oregon Governor Tina Kotek declared a state of emergency on Saturday in response to the flooding, acknowledging the severe public health and environmental hazards caused by the event. “Flooding in Harney County and on the Burns Paiute Reservation is creating serious public health and environmental hazards that require all hands on deck,” Kotek said earlier this week.
Harney County, with a population of around 7,400 people, covers more than 10,000 square miles (25,900 square kilometers), an area approximately twice the size of Connecticut. The vast and sparsely populated county is now facing an immense challenge as residents and emergency crews work together to navigate the immediate dangers and begin the long process of recovery.
As authorities continue to assess the damage and provide relief, the community remains focused on ensuring the safety of residents and supporting one another in the aftermath of this historic flooding.